5 Steps You Should Take For Filing a Water Damage Insurance Claim
A storm can cause water damage to your Canton, Ohio home. It can feel scared, angry, and frustrated. After taking a deep breath, follow these important steps.
5 steps you should take for filing a storm and water damage insurance claim
- Contact your insurance company right away: Your insurance agent or company will tell you the type of coverage you have and what will be covered under your policy. They will probably start the claim and will schedule a time for your insurance adjuster to visit your home to inspect and assess the damage. You should always document the date, time and who you spoke with.
2. Assess and document your loss: You know what is inside your home and the belongings that you have. Walk through your property and look to see what the storm and/or water has damaged. Make a list of any damaged or missing items and document the value. Take photos and videos to document the damage of your personal property room by room. It is important if possible before a disaster has damaged your home to take a video of all your items for record.
3. Mitigate, or prevent, further damage: You do not want any secondary damage to happen to your property and cause further money out of your pocket. If you do any repairs keep all receipts of expensive including tarps, tape, lumber, and gas. If needed, call a professional restoration and mitigation company like SERVPRO of South & East Stark County to help tarp or board up your home after a storm damage. You do not want to cause injury to yourself climbing on top of your roof.
4. Be prepared for the insurance adjuster ‘s visit: When your insurance adjuster visits your damaged property, have the following documents ready:
- List of damages including the value.
- Take photos and video of your damage.
- Copies of receipts for expenses.
If a storm causes major catastrophic damage to your community, sometimes insurance adjusters are not able to visit your home quickly, therefore documenting the information prior is important.
5. Choose your contractor wisely: During major storms there are storm chasers. It is important to not hire the first contractor that comes to your door. Use a contractor that is recommended by your insurance company. Make sure the contractor you hire is reputable, established, licensed, bonded, and insured. Make sure this contractor is in insurance restoration damage expert and therefore knows how to file claims with insurance companies.
It is always important to stay organized and calm after storm has damaged your home. Starting a claim notebook can keep everything in one place and therefore when a disaster strikes you are prepared. In the notebook have the names, numbers and emails of your insurance agent and company contacts. Calling a reputable storm and water damage cleanup and restoration company can help expedite your claim process. SERVPRO of South & East Stark County crews are highly trained, knowledgeable and I ICRC certified to help clean up and restore water damaged property. Call us at 330-823-4088.