Fire Safety Tips for Commercial Properties in Canton Ohio
Fire Safety Guidelines for the Workplace
Fire drills are required at all schools for safety reasons, it is therefore significant to also have safety guidelines at your office. Below is a list of fire prevention tips and how to respond at your workplace during a fire emergency along with how to prevent fires from happening.
- Eliminate Mess– Keep work stations organized and free of extra clutter that could provide fuel to a fire. Make sure there is a clear path to all emergency exits.
- Office Equipment– Keep office equipment clean, dry and in a ventilated area. Equipment should be at least several feet away from combustible surfaces and objects.
- Remove any Fire Hazards – Almost 40% of workplace fires are caused by electrical failures. Remove damaged electrical outlets, cords, cables, etc.
- Don’t Overload Power Outlets– Make sure that power outlets are not overloaded with too many plugs.
- Emergency Exits– Post escape routes on every level of the building with the emergency exit clearly marked. Educate employees on emergency procedures, exit locations, escape routes, fire alarms and drills.
- Fire and Smoke Alarms– Install and properly maintain all fire and smoke alarms. Test all alarms on a monthly basis.
- Keep the Workplace a No-Smoking Zone – A smoking area should be designated outside of the building. All employees should properly extinguish cigarettes in a sand filled can.
- Fire Drills– Conduct regular fire drills.
- Evacuation Plan – Sound the fire alarm and immediately follow your escape route plan.
- Call 911 immediately– Follow the instructions by the emergency responder.
- Close the doors behind you – After exiting each room close the door behind you to prevent the prevent fire from spreading.
- Never use an elevator.Walk down the stairs.
- Never re-enter a building. Once you are safe outside never re-enter a smoke-filled burning building.
Please be prepared before a fire disaster strikes your business. It you do need fire restoration after a fire, please call SERVPRO of S&E Stark County at 330-823-4088.