Water Damage Can Cause Mold Growth in Alliance, Ohio
Mold Growth on a door from a sump pump back up. Homeowner was gone for two months and discovered the mold when they returned to their Alliance home.
A slow plumbing leak, sewage back-up, broken pipes or any other kind of water damage can cause excess moisture in a home which may lead to mold growth. Mold damage and mold growth is common in most homes. Severe mold growth can happen after a home has not been occupied for several months and a water damage occurred during that time. The picture above was a home in Alliance, Ohio that our crews had to remediate a mold damage after a rental property sat empty during the pandemic.
Although checking for mold in a home may seem like a simple job, it is not because some mold can hide in your basement and/or attic. It is important to have an expert that has been trained and certified of getting the job done right the first time. We have the right chemicals and equipment for handling mold in a safe manner plus we have the right gear to perform the processes without putting your family at risk.
Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Please call the professionals of SERVPRO of South and East Stark County, if your home or business has a mold issue, where we make any disaster “Like it never even happened.” 330-823-4088. Visit our website about our mold remediation process at www.SERVPROsoutheaststarkcounty.com.
Spring Can Deliver Severe Weather Surprises in Stark County, Ohio
Laure Kolenz is the owner of SERVPRO of South & East Stark County.
Spring brings warmer weather, longer days and a much-anticipated break from winter. It also brings a very real threat of severe weather, according to disaster recovery specialist Laurie Kolenz, owner of SERVPRO of South & East Stark County.
"The frequent change in cold and warm temperatures in spring creates an elevated risk for severe weather across the country," Kolenz said. "Ranging from flooding rain in the Northwest to thunderstorms and tornadoes in the Southeast, spring weather can be unpredictable at best and downright dangerous at worst.
"When you give some thought to the types of hazards a spring storm could produce, you can begin to plan for the safety of your family as well as your home or business.”
Depending on where one lives, here are some of the ways a spring storm might damage a home or business:
√ Water damage caused by flooding from melting snow, foundation washouts from coastal storms, frozen pipes that burst, sump pumps that fail during power outages, torrential downpours, or faulty air conditioning condensation lines during a heat wave.
√ Fire damage caused by use of alternate emergency heat sources, sprinkler systems that fail due to freezing pipes, downed power lines, or environmental conditions leading to structure fires.
√ Wind damage caused by fallen trees and limbs, damage to siding and roofs, and downed power lines.
"Of course, most of these hazards don't happen in isolation," Kolenz said. "For example, tornadoes and violent thunderstorms put property owners at risk for water, fire and wind damage. It's important to understand which hazards might affect your property and your family, and then take the proper steps to prepare."
Kolenz suggested investigating resources available online from the U.S. government's "Ready" program at https://www.ready.gov/severe-weather, and other free tools such as the SERVPRO READY app at https://ready.SERVPRO.com/home/mobileapp. Home and business owners can use this app to store essential contact and property information electronically, and then access it in seconds with a mobile device.
Local business owners who also designate SERVPRO of South & East Stark County as their disaster mitigation and restoration provider can gain peace of mind from a no-cost assessment of their facility conducted by SERVPRO professionals, who then assist the owner in completing a comprehensive Emergency READY Profile (ERP) to be stored in the READY app.
"Because it's difficult to predict when severe weather will strike – or what form it may take – it's important to plan in advance," Kolenz said.
If you need water cleanup and restoration services, please call SERVPRO of South & East Stark County at 330-823-4088.
SERVPRO of South & East Stark County Water Damage Cleanup Crews
Call the professional crew at SERVPRO of South & East Stark County at 330-823-4088 to clean up and restore after a water, fire or storm damage.
SERVPRO of South & East Stark County specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and are IICRC certified in:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Applied Structural Drying
- Asbestos Hazard Evaluation Specialist
- Mold Mitigation
Our crews use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition. Our equipment consists of:
- Air Movers
- Air Scrubbers
- Carpet & Upholstery Machines
- Water Extractors
- Ozone/Hydroxyl Generators
- And more
Since we are locally owned and operated, we can respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit in North East Ohio, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Why SERVPRO of South & East Stark County?
When you are dealing with water damage in NE Ohio, immediate action is crucial. SERVPRO of South & East Stark County will respond immediately. We use advanced equipment and techniques to remove the water quickly. We also closely monitor and document the drying process to verify your property is dried properly and thoroughly. If you suffer water damage in NE Ohio or the surrounding area we are here to help. Call us 24/7 at (330)823-4088.
Quick Water Removal Helps Keep Your Retirement Center Safe
SERVPRO equipment used in a water damage. Pictured are air movers and dehumidifiers. We can help mitigate your water damaged building in Canton, Ohio.
If water ever leaks into your retirement center in Canton, the situation can be disastrous. Excessive moisture causes unsafe conditions for your elderly patrons living in your building. If building materials get saturated, they can fall apart and create hazards. Structural components can also weaken making your building unsafe for everyone. If a water leak goes unnoticed for longer than 48 hours, mold growth can occur. Once a fungus forms it can quickly put out spores that get into the air. Mold can cause health effects in some people. Therefore, microbes that exist in a structure's airflow system can create air quality issues for your residents.
Depending on how saturated the walls, carpets, upholstery, and any other materials inside your place of business are, there are a variety of different types of equipment and techniques our SERVPRO mitigation crews use to remove moisture. The first step is to extract or vacuum up the water. Our truck mount extractors can remove all the water in your building. Once the water is removed then the second step of drying out process of the building begins. Our crews will reduce the humidity in the air by placing dehumidifiers along with air-movers to help circulate the air and remove the water that is in any wet material in the room. Our crews will monitor and record the humidity in the area until the structure is completely dried. Lastly, the restoration process begins to make your retirement center, “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of S&E Stark County understands that water damage can disrupt your day-to-day business function in Stark County and possibly closing the business. Did you know that 50% of business do not reopen due to a water disaster? We have the equipment, training, and experience to find and dry water before secondary damage set in. Fast action saves time and money, so call SERVPRO of S&E Stark County at 330-823-4088 for 24/7 Water Damage Cleanup and Restoration!
Home Dryer Fire Safety Tips in Alliance, Ohio
Clean our your lint traps in your dryer to prevent fires in Alliance, Ohio.
Did you know that over 17,000 fires are related to home dryers each year? To some people laundry may be a daily event. If you do not clean your dryer filter after each use can be dangerous.
Here are a few simple tips to follow to help prevent a clothes dryer fire.
- Clean the filter screen after each load to prevent lint buildup.
- An adult should be at home whenever the dryer is in use and the home should have working smoke alarms.
- Clean the vents outside twice a year to clean out any accumulated dust and lint.
- Commercial dryers should be cleaned out regularly because of their frequent use and shared venting system.
- Do not dry mop heads in the dryer. The dryer's heat can ignite the chemical residue on mop heads.
- Keep the surrounding area clean. The dryer's heat may ignite anything left too close to the dryer.
- The safety of your family is important to us and we hope that you do not encounter such a fire. Be sure you follow these steps to avoid a fire in your home.
After a laundry dryer fire has caused damaged to your home in the Akron, Ohio area, SERVPRO of South & East Stark County, has the crews and knowledge to restore the contents and structures affected areas. Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. Call us 24-hours a day at 330-823-4088 to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Smoke Damage Restoration Experts in Alliance, Ohio
If you experience smoke damage from a fire in Alliance, Ohio, call the experts at SERVPRO of South & East Stark County at 330-823-4088.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Soot & Smoke Damage Facts:
Soot damage is quite common after a fire. Soot is a black powdery or flaky substance that forms through incomplete combustion. Fine soot particles can cling to surfaces such as walls and ceilings, as well as building contents. Soot can be difficult, sometimes impossible to remove.
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of South & East Stark County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of South & East Stark County at 330-823-4088.
Fire Damage Restoration in Canton, Ohio
A fire caused major damage to this home in Canton, Ohio. Call our team of experts to restore your home and belongings at 330-823-4088.
When you have a fire in your home or business, smoke that is created by the fire spreads throughout the structure leaving behind soot residues and foul odors. SERVPRO's fire damage in Canton crews knows how to remove the soot, smoke and odor. A major part of any restoration process is cleaning any affected building materials or contents.
Without the right restoration techniques, it's nearly impossible to get rid of the foul scent and particles left behind that can cause other fire related problems. We have been in the fire damage restoration business for over a decade and our experience allows us to work on your property without compromising your safety or health.
Fire damage, including smoke and soot, affects not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. Our IICRC certified crews use several methods of cleaning your fire damaged contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
SERVPRO of South & East Stark County Professionals understand your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings are the very things that make a house a home. We take care of these items trying to restore them to preloss condition than throwing them away.
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Call SERVPRO of S&E Stark County at 330-823-4088 today!
A Review from a SERVPRO of South & East Stark County Customer
Thank you Brian for giving our crews a great review from a water damaged that you experienced.
Flooding and water emergencies do not wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of South & East Stark County provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays. You can expect an immediate response time, day, or night.
Here is a raving fan review from a customer at SERVPRO of South & East Stark County:
SERVPRO was there within 90 minutes after I called. They worked hard all day and into the evening to clean up all of the water damage. I appreciated their professionalism, and their willingness to explain the process and answer our questions.
SERVPRO of South & East Stark County is a trusted leader in the restoration industry, and our highly trained technicians provide you with 24-hour emergency service. If fire, water or mold damage your home or business, we respond quickly to bring you the help you need. We are prepared with the training, equipment, and experience to complete all your restoration projects in a timely and professional manner. We are locally owned and operated, and our goal is to make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us at 330-823-4088.
Spring Cleaning Can Prevent a Water or Fire Damage to Your Home
Cleaning a dryer vent can prevent a fire to your home in Alliance, Ohio.
Spring is just around the corner. The sun is shining bright, and it is time to open the windows and let the fresh air in to welcome the new season. Checking and cleaning a few household areas and items can help eliminate a future water or fire damage.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare your home for SPRING!
1. Gutters and downspouts: Clean out gutters and downspouts from any leftover fall and winter debris. If left neglected, the next heavy rain can cause flooding and erosion issues to the foundation of your home from any clogged gutters.
2. Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace any batteries.
3. Fire Extinguishers: Check fire extinguishers for expiration date and make sure they still work.
4. Windows and Doors: Clean all windows and doors and sliding glass door tracks for smooth operation. Check your windows and doors for leaks or air drafts. If you feel outdoor air seeping in, the seals may need to be replaced.
5. Water and Air Filters: Replace water filters and air filters. Filters catch debris from water and air. When they get full, they cannot filter as effectively as they should. The filters should be routinely replaced to ensure that they can work efficiently.
6. Dryer Vent: Your dryer vent can easily become filled with lint and debris. Clean the dryer vent to help improve drying time and energy efficiency and to prevent a fire. The vent inside your dryer should be cleaned with each load, but in the spring, you should check your exterior vent as well, making sure there is nothing accumulating in the tubing from the dryer to the outside.
7. Grill: Once it begins to get warmer, people start thinking about cooking and eating outside. Now is the perfect time inspect your grill, refill your tanks if it is a gas grill, and clean all the cooking surfaces so it is ready to use when you want to make delicious meals. Grills with an abundance of leftover food and grease could cause a fire.
8. Plumbing for Leaks: Look for leaks under your sinks and for leaking faucets. If you notice any leaks, call in a plumber to make the needed repairs. A leaky faucet can produce water damage and unwanted mold growth.
It may not be possible to prevent all water damage; however, taking these precautions lower your chance of water damaging the structure of your home. If you do find water damage in your home, please call SERVPRO of South & East Stark County at 330-823-4088 and we will restore your home “Like it never even happened.”
Water Damage to an Alliance, Ohio Home
If you experience a water damage to your Alliance, Ohio home, please call the crews at SERVPRO of South & East Stark County at 330-823-4088.
Alliance residents know that water damage can happen at any time. Winter pipe-breaks, spring rainstorms, summer floods to an appliance fail, can cause severe damage to your home. Its important to act fast to minimize the cost of the repairs.
When a water damage occurs from a kitchen broken water line the standing water can seep underneath flooring and damage the wooden subfloor and floor joists. Drywall, baseboards, and cabinets may also be affected. If the water is not mitigated in a timely manner, mold growth can begin to grow causing secondary damage.
Fortunately, SERVPRO of South & East Stark County has a team of highly trained restoration specialists available to respond to any size water damage emergency 24 hours a day, every day. From the moment you call, our team can be onsite within four hours to immediately begin the cleanup and restoration process. We use state-of-the-art technology and techniques approved by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification to restore water damage including:
- Moisture detection and measurement equipment
- Water extraction equipment
- Drying equipment
- Odor removal and deodorization
- Sanitizing agents, germicides, and anti-microbial treatments
We Are Ready to Help Call Today: 330-823-4088
We understand that having a water loss, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of South & East Stark County has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it is the cornerstone of our business.
Meet Our Crew!